Thursday 26 July 2012

Finally surf on July 20 (video)




Finally after several weeks  of having no waves anywhere in the Great Lakes and being close to total mental and physical dehydration due to lack of waves, just when all brothers and sisters that surf the Great Lakes thought everything was lost and were about to give up into total boredom and a spiral of unending thoughts about making a desperate trip to a destination with waves....... finally, we all saw on the forecast a chance for all of us! Winds started to pick up in favorable direction for Lake Erie and Lake Ontario surfers (winds SW and NE). This was finally the time we had been dreaming of for several weeks. It was so close I could almost taste it....!


 Guess what? I missed it. The first day in weeks that we get waves and I totally missed it. I could not believe it but being responsible beat me this time. I had to stay home and study. I did not make the trip to Lake Erie like everyone else did. I felt such an outcast. Everyone was having an amazing time at Pleasant Beach surfing without a wetsuit and all day long while I was stuck at home studying finance. That was just unbelievable. I who surf even when it is raining or snowing under freezing temperatures missed one of the best days ever to go out and surf.

I wouldn't stay without surfing too much longer. After missing surf in Lake Erie on a Tuesday, a few days later winds came over to Lake Ontario and with them came the waves! This was my golden opportunity to surf my favorite spot 'The Cove' under almost perfect conditions. This date was Friday July 20! During Fall is when this spot becomes truly magical and is the reason why it is so popular among Toronto surfers. The NE wind was blowing from the day before. Not too strong and not too soft. Just enough to generate the necessary power to create waves in the lake.

Thursday at work went by quick. At the end of the shift all my friends and co-workers went for some wings and beer at the usual spot. I knew I had to surf early the next day but that didnt stop me from enjoying myself at the bar. There was nothing that would make me miss out on a surf day at The Cove. I went home with my friends at around 4 am and invited them over to keep chatting at my house while I got my board waxed up and ready for the so highly expected event! They stayed until 5.30ish talking about random things and learning a bit about boards and waxing boards. By the time they left the sun was starting to come out and I could not do much more than wait and wait for Larry C to come pick me up and go straight into that frenzy state that we always get into when going surfing.

He showed up with Dan F. who I met more than a few weeks ago on our last surf trip at The Cove. He has quickly shown a great style surfing and is not afraid of dropping some bombs despite he has not been surfing for too long. Under 30 surf sessions! (That's ridiculous! He surfs as if he had been surfing a much longer time!!) They both picked me up and we went to The Cove. It is pointless to say we had a blast that day and not many images were taken when the surf was at its best because everyone was in the water. We still got some video footage from later that day when things started dying down. Here is a video to show you all what a great surf day it was. (Keep in mind that because the video was filmed with my cellphone camera and Dan's camera the video quality is not the best. Also, the size of the waves when standing outside the lake seems to be pretty small but when you are inside, believe me, those walls of water stop looking small and become a very powerful pounding force! I wonder if other surfers have noticed this...if you have leave a comment please! For now enjoy the video!



No comments:

Post a Comment