Monday 19 March 2012

Summer time = No Surf - What!?!

Photographer: Alastair Macpherson - Location: Bitch's Rock

Summer time is almost here in Toronto, Canada. We are having high temperatures all over Canada. These are way higher than seasonal temperatures. Together with summer-like temperatures we also get little to no waves at all in the Great Lakes.


It has already been about 2 weeks since my last surf session and it has not been because I couldn't make it out. There have been no strong winds all this time. One thing that I have noticed is that
when I stop surfing I get sick much easier. It can be -20 Celsius out there and I go surfing the whole day. I come back home and everything is 'stellar'. As soon as I stop surfing for more than a couple of days, I go out with 10 Celsius weather and I get sick. My throat hurts, I'm coughing non-stop and I am craving waves like crazy. Ridiculous? Yes! But that is the way it is....


Photographer: Alastair Macpherson - Surfer: Antonio Acuna


Now that we don't have waves coming our way, I have decided to take up training at the gym. Mainly to strengthen my core muscles and improve my endurance. That way, the next time we get waves I will be paddling like a 'champ' and not running out of air every two paddles - something very common for most of us Great Lakes Surfers.



What do You do to keep yourself fit, entertained & sane during times of no waves?


I would definitely appreciate some answers to this question as I know there are several of us out there with the same question in mind!


9 comments:

  1. I SUP and Windsurf when there are no waves. That way at least I am still out on the water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats great! I tried windsurfing once, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. That was in my first years in Canada. Back when I didn't know you could surf the Great Lakes. Interestingly enough I tried surfing waves without the kite but fond the whole in the middle of the board a bit too uncomfortable... jaja.

      I am fully excited about SUPing, but I cant get an SUP board yet because when I go surfing I usually take the Subway or TTC at some point of the trip. You can imagine an SUP board + paddle on the Subway or bus.... So I just have to wait until I get a substantial raise at work and I can get a car. :P

      Delete
  2. For example I try to be at six am. every day in the gym. I run 2 to 3 Km. dayly. For example today I've worked push ups and downs, legs, and shoulders, all in round two hours of trainning. When I'm not able to do this routine I feel dumb and without energy to do my works. Keep on trainning it will keep you in form specially not to loose your breath and to be fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic! Waking up so early and running that much. I really need to step it up! This workout in the gym is definitely going to pay off. How is Jorge at the GYM? If he is still there tell him I say Hi!

      Delete
  3. Great entry and question Antonio. I like to watch surf movies, read surf mags, check the surf forecast and training also. For training I like to swim.....lots and lots of laps, including some interval laps (sprinting mimics paddling hard for a wave) and some underwater running (improves cardio and breathholding). At the gym I like to do some of the more basic arm exercises (bencj press, shoulder press) and make sure to do some balancing on wobble board, push ups on a wobble board or BOSU ball, and even pop-up training. Those things keep me in good surf shape and sane from missing the swell.
    Have fun with your training Antonio and let me know if you ever want some more exercise ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro thanks for input! Where do you go swimming? I used to go to Ryerson University's pool but its about 60 bucks the membership and is all the way downtown (I live in North York area). I always have wanted to try running under water, that's what you see in the movies and for sure it must be a completely different work out!

    What kind of Surf Movies have you watched? I might start up a list of Surf movies and where can you get them...if you can get them online at all. I might start up the list with your entries...jaja - if you want!

    Which one is the BOSU Ball and which ones are pop-up training exercises?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude It is so Hard and painful when the lakes are Flat....cant stop thinking about waves and what would you do to it !! so far Sk8boarding , hiking and jogging has taken that stress away a bit..NOT all though ! swimming definitely is a plus too!
    Keep moving and you'll see soon the 30 knots calling your name!!

    cheers bro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how hard it is...

    I'm from Brazil, I use to live in Rio just in front of the beach, this was my backyard (http://ricosurf.globo.com/boletim-das-ondas/rio-de-janeiro/barra-posto-8/), I use to surf every weekend, take me 5 minutes (walk) from my condo door to be in the water..

    I came to Toronto 4 years ago and since them, I just surf twice, California last year and Rio beginning of this year.

    Now I bring my surfboards, and I hope to get some waves some day, I just need to buy a wetsuit and know where the waves will be...

    During summer, I'd love to do some SUP and windsurf (all my equipment still in Brazil), but I'm short of money to buy them.

    Another good thing is swimming.. at least keep you in the water.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Bro, when you first come up here. most of us find it hard to get the right equipment to get started with winter surfing in the lakes. It is just a matter of time. One thing very important to keep in mind, dont worry too much about how pricey an item can be, just make sure it is the best thing out there to keep you warm and get it. Believe me, you dont want to buy something cheap and be freezing in the water.Better save for a few more months and get the right equipment that will allow you to surf comfortable during winter time.

      Delete